Monday, October 5, 2009

After the Gold Rush

O California, I never did trade my black boots, blue jeans, and fitted shirts for you sandals, cargo shorts and dude-bro apparel. I never had my teeth whitened, and the only tan I keep is from my olive skin, just part of being Italian.
I did get a motorcycle, I have been saying "dude," "legit," and unfortunately "no worries." I even thought about a tattoo.

By the same token, I'm going try best not to say "yah, eh?" or put an "a" before any vowels sounds that start with "e" and vice versa. That would be the Midwest "eeaccent." I picked up on my friend Paul's british accent when we lived together in Boston, and even parts of my friends Noel's Massachusetts vernacular, but when I moved to New York, I did my best to cover my redneck past, and speak geographically neutral. Even still, I did utter the occasional "naw, son." When I found myself delivering packages in the projects in Bed Stuy, Flatbush, or Canarsie Brooklyn, I did my best to fit in where I clearly stood out.

I am considering moving back to Wisconsin. I'll have a drumset or two, room to record uninterrupted (for the most part), and I'll be a lot closer to my sister, with whom I run Spitting Image, our self-designed clothing line.

Anyway, I can't stop procrastinating lately. I am midway through finishing a very dramatic version of Alone Together. I love how its coming out because originally it sounded like it could have been on John Mayer's pandering Room For Squares album ( I must say, I do love parts of Continuum, I'm just not a fan of his earlier work). Now it will sound at home among the birds and monsters.

My sister Amy has completed the lovely artwork, which will eventually be on our myspace/t-shirt/album cover. Its hand drawn and handmade. DIY as always.

Matt Reyes' production of my song "Get Away" had been nearing completion, but his computer crashed. Fortunately its backed up, but I don't know when we'll get to hear all the work we put in on this favorite of mine. He has really helped keep me moving. I tend to get caught up in experimenting so much that I have trouble putting anything to "tape."

well, its time for work. Au revoir mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment